Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Disasters Continue...

I felt horrible for Phoebe. Why did I agree to hang up water balloons? Just then I heard a splash in the other room. Uh oh. All the balloons collapsed onto everyone, one by one. I screamed as the last one hit me.
"We're ok!" I said as calm as I could manage.
I looked around, everyone was not ok....Everyone was shivering.
"Just get towels everyone! It's fine, the cake isn't ruined, nor the presents..."

"PRESENTS!?!?!?!?" McKenna squealed.
"Of course!" I said, trying to act like nothing happened. Everybody gathered around her, wrapped in towels.
She picked up the smallest one and pulled on the wrapping. Nothing happened.
"Uhm, Kathleen? Is this supposed to be like this?" She groaned as she pulled harder.
"I-I'll get the scissors!" I said running out.
I ran back in with scissors. I handed them to McKenna, but as I did, she cut herself. Argh.
"Ow!" She screeched.
Melanie came running in with a band-aid. She quickly wrapped her finger and opened all the presents. Over-all, it was just basketball stuff. I rushed out of the room to get the cake, it was really small. Sigh. Oh well. I lit the candle and started to walk into the room.
"Happy birthday to you-..."
Everyone had a smile on, I don't think anything can happen with the cake, can it? McKenna closed her eyes as I held the cake in front of her, she blew out the candles and everyone clapped. But then, Phoebe came in and slipped on water, which made her bump into me, which made me slam the cake, into McKenna's face. I hurriedly set the cake on the table and ran outside. I ran like there was no tomorrow. I went to the garden, I always sat on the bench when I was angry or sad. I sat down and covered my face. And I cried. I cried so hard I could've filled up a swimming pool. Phoebe came and sat next to me. I didn't look up. I just buried my face in my knees.
"Kathleen? Are you ok?" Phoebe asked sympathetically.
I lifted my head and spoke, "No, I am horrible at planning parties, everything went wrong!"
"But Kathleen, it wasn't all that bad, the water was a fun surprise, the cut, well, it was an accident, and the cake on McKenna's face...." Phoebe trailed off. "Well, it was kinda funny," Phoebe finished.
I let out a little giggle.
"But, now we don't have cake, or decorations," I said.
"Yeah, but how about we just spend this birthday together, as a family, as familia." Phoebe said.
"Wait, you know Spanish?" I said.
Phoebe's cheeks turned red.
"What's the matter?" I asked.
"Okay, okay, McKenna and I come from a Spanish family, Mexico to be exact. And we didn't want to tell you, afraid you'd think it was weird having someone foreign in your family," Phoebe said, in a thick, Spanish accent.
"Wow! You imitate American's good!" I said.
"Gracias," Phoebe smiled.
Wow, who knew McKenna was Mexican! That's so cool. She doesn't look like it though. Well anyway, the rest of the day went better, and we all spent it together.
As familia.

No comments: